Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

9.09.2008

The L Words

Loser.

It doesn't take much for my mind to fall into the that deep, familiar groove: you're a loser, you haven't accomplished anything so give up now. The sound of doubt deafens. Almost everyday. It isn't fair for my brain to do this to me. It isn't fair for anyone's brain to do this, and yet, there it is--that relentless fugue.

Well last night I called mama and was chatting about nothing alltogether that important when she said something out of the blue that came down on my like a sweet sunshower:

"I was thinking," she started, "I wanted a kid for 20 years. 20 years I thought to myself, 'I want to have a kid.' It never occurred to me that it wouldn't happen. And when I was 40, I had you. You can't give up on what you dream about in life. It could take as long as 20 years, Alex. It could take longer. But what you know is meant for you, know it and never let it go. Your dreams are yours."

Sometimes that woman astounds me.

Love.

On a more serious note, it took mama 20 years to get knocked up? 20!!! Did she know how easy it really is to get knocked up, I mean, it's not exactly a lifelong career goal, you know? Okay, okay, she wasn't a slut and had to find the right man and all that shit, but really? 20 years? Okay...

2 Comments:

Blogger SophiaWang said...

alex,

i remember meeting your mama and she's a beautiful lady. i remember we had cuban food...somewhere up near Columbia -- lord in heaven i can't even remember where. and whiskers the cat -- is she (he?) still around? alex alex alex barretto i can't believe i found you and can you f*cking believe i am still writing my dissertation? wtf, seriously, wtf. i'm still in berkeley... call me anytime but i guess i shouldn't leave my phone # here... uh, email me? sfw@berkeley.edu
big hugs,
sophia
p.s. you're not a loser. you, too, can procreate right now, if'n you really wanna.

6:03 AM

 
Blogger Gucci said...

Sophia! So good to read from you. I'm glad you found me.

I don't wanna procreate in the literal sense, but in the artistic one. I want lots and lots of art babies.

Dissertation? Arrgh! At least you'll be cushioned from the implosion of America.

I will email you this weekend. Mine is alexander underscore barreto at (here we go) y a h o o d o t c o m.

12:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home