Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

6.18.2008

NNNOOOO, Canada!

Remember the post about the dead waterfowl in a Canadian lake? Well, there's more to Canada's waterways than meets the bird's eye.

Canada's laws allow for lakes and rivers to be reclassified as waste dumps for use by mining companies. Yeah. How ridiculous is that? This way, the bodies of water, no longer offically called "lakes" or "ponds" or "rivers," are exempt from pollution regulations. It's like, if I change your name from "Phillip" to "BoyCow" that means I can castrate you and barbeque your assmeat. Sounds crazy right?

Basically, a mining company can knock on the government's door "That shouldn't be a fish-filled pond. No way. That should be downright a pond-o-carcinogens, that's what I say." And the government will respond "Oh boy, a pond of cancer-goo. We shoulda thoughta that before. Please, take it. We got too much clean water here in Canadaland and folks're becomin' jealous." Come on, Canadians. Fight for this. The contaminants will NEVER stay in one place. You know better. They'll leach into your groundwater and into your waterways and your cancer rates will skyrocket. Make me proud, Canada.

Read the article here and have a box of tissues handy.

Source: CBS News Canada

1 Comments:

Blogger DRT said...

Hi Alex,
I caught your post about Canadian lakes being turned into dumps and I
thought I'd drop you a line. My name is Thom Duggan and I'm one of the many Canadians working to end this backward plan. So, I just wanted to say hi and thank you, for one.

One of the ways we're going to be trying to keep Canadians involved
and informed on this issue is though the blogging circles in Canada.

I'd like it if you'd agree to join our "blogcorps". It's mostly just a
special list that we'd keep of bloggers, like yourself, who would like updates and alerts about the issue from time to time (no
coverage-obligation, of course). Some bloggers have signaled that they want to get involved more deeply in the campaign, and that's great too.

If you'd like some background information even now on the issue, I can send you a few things. Or if you'd like to get in touch with someone from the campaign, either nationally or in your general area, we'll be able to do that stuff, too (we have a webpage coming soon that will
bring local citizens, bloggers, scientists, and activists
together...more on that later).

We've been blown away by the response online; thanks for being a part of that. Would you like to receive updates from us on this in the future?

Thom Duggan
Coalition to Stop Lake Dumping

thom.duggan [at] gmail

8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home