Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

7.28.2008

You know you're in a recession when...

1) not 1 but 2 major Barnes and Noble behemoths close their doors. The one at Astor Place by NYU (I think I've mentioned this one before) and as I learned yesterday, the one at 6th Ave and 21st street. Wow. When the Dunkin' Donuts start to go out of business, head for the hills.

2) cops chase a fugitive through your backyard in Queens (again). Sunday morning at 5AM about 30 cops descended on our neighborhood, entering our building's back yard, chasing a fugitive. I don't know what the guy was wanted for, but he ended up on the roof. he was roof-hopping. It was crazy. They caught him, though. The first time this happened was during the early evening about a month or two ago. It's getting crazy in our once-safe neighborhood as the solidly middle class and working class families living there lose their footing. Everyone's on edge these days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Now here I am, I left a 6-figure salary to strike out on my own as a real estate agent in this horrific market. I'm either a genius or completely retarded. Stay tuned.

7:15 PM

 
Blogger Gucci said...

I think you're somewhere between genius and retarded. Idiot savante?

Seriously, I think as the economy shrinks, so will our prospects. Our focus will become on local communities and there WILL be a place for real estate agents, especially those who have a knack for fostering growth in small town centers. You know, those tiny strips of main streets that over the last couple of decades have been nearly wiped out by Wallmart? Well, those main streets will become vital again, and that's where a forward-thinking real estate agent can make a buck and improve society all at once. But hey, that's just my theory.

9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home