Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

9.24.2006

A Pubic Conversation


We discussed pubes. Specifically, the fact that women nowadays shave their pubes and that she tried it and doesn’t like it. “God made us hairy for a reason, and I don’t want to change that. Plus hair hides any imperfections you might have down there.”

Mama is very comfortable talking to me about bodily issues. And frankly, I partook wholeheartedly when we spoke today:

“I don’t like it when guys shave their pubes, actually. And lots of them do, it’s not even a gay thing,” I added.

“I KNOW, your cousin has gotten into that. There’s even guys that shave a heart shape around their parts.” I can only imagine she was still talking about my cousin and the idea of a former boxer and military dude having a hairy heart around his dong made me giggle.

Mama continued, “What I don’t like is hair under the arms for women. That’s gross to have things hanging down from your arm pits. And the bikini line—if you’re going to the beach, you don’t want hair sticking out from your bathing suit.”

Pointing out the fact that her hair etiquette is old fashioned and that what she’s against is the current pubic trend did not go smoothly. Mama became very defensive and argued, “I have not inherited all the rules of my parents. In fact I have rebelled against several.”

“Like what?”

“Like believing that women should be allowed to go out by themselves and that women should be able to have fun at parties if they want to and that it doesn’t mean they are unworthy. I believe that.”

Well, that’s repression for ya’.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home