Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

5.08.2006

A whole half


Cut off at the waist—there was no way to hide it, no story necessary. He was chopped in half at the waist and living and breathing. Walking using hands as feet.
Half man, half…
Half man, half…
Whole enough to walk down the train without a wheel chair or a cane, no helpful fiberglass appendage. Every movement marked with the twang of metal from the change heaving in the paper cup in his hand.

I turned away. Unable to look into the two-foot high eyes….the strain…

Sliced at the waist and still living. And not even stumps for legs. Just a cupful of change his only crutch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nice picture. Cut off at the knees, hey we get about the best we can.

4:36 PM

 
Blogger Gucci said...

Yeah. It's the inner reaction that gets me. Struggle in sports and competitions--that's entertainment. Struggle that is what it is, that does not lead to trophies or money--that's hard to watch. People turn away. The hard part is turning inside first and then you can look outward without fear or judgement--simply, and with acceptance.

2:00 PM

 
Blogger Jessica Leader said...

I think I've seen the man you're talking about. And the question is, why is this man asking for change in a subway? Doesn't he deserve some form of sustainable government assistance? If I worked for city government, I would be embarrassed that no service is taking care of this man. And I probably should feel that was as a citizen, too. Of course, this brings up all sorts of questions, like, well, shouldn't I feel that way for people with less visible barriers to employment? And does he want assistance? And if he doesn't, does that prove that he needs it even more? Arg...it's thorny. And, I really don't want to say it, but I have to--I'm stumped. (Don't strike me dead!!)

11:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home