Coverage of me and other train wrecks: my mama, subway nut jobs, sex and the environment.

3.15.2006

Mama's Boy


My parents have always been noble, honest people with a complete lack of irony. To them the idea of making fun of another person is out of the question--it's a hurtful manipulative thing to them. They don't like it and they taught me not to like it. So in middle school when I'd come home crying, I was a victim, in their eyes, of cruelty, injustice, and the rampant degradation of morality in "these times."

From my father I learned that I could use agression and force to deal with the bullies. But I was puny and weak and didn't stand a chance against those bovine-growth-hormonal pubescent muscle jocks. I was the boy who always flinched.

From my mother I learned that I could use my honesty to fight the teasing. I could approach a teacher and honestly say what I'd been told by the kids. Nothing was respected less than a tattler in W. R. Thomas Middle School, so I refrained.

During the school day I avoided most social contact within the windowless walls of the institution. After school I cried at the names I'd been called and the jokes that'd been made at my expense, which really were funny now that I think of them. Back then my mother still dressed me so I wore these cumbersome button down shirts, short-sleeved with strange pastel prints on them that have never been resurrected since the late eighties. And pants. I wore lots of pants. Nice pants. TOO nice for public school when other kids were wearing old t-shirts and jeans. Oh, and brown mocassins, which today I can't even look at without having nightmarish visions of a preppie teenage hell. Poster child for the Sears Catalog?

And the best reason to make fun of me was that I was so scared using a locker would make me late for class that I carried two bookbags, for all my books and binders and school supplies...at all times. Walking home from school I'd be carrying the two bags, my magenta tupperware lunchbox and my french horn. My forearms were strong.

I'd get home, forearms pulsing with blood, neck strained from the load, and cry about the day's teasings. One evening, mom couldn't take it anymore. She thought I was being traumatized by the other students and she decided, without telling me, that she would take matters into her own hands.

The next day I was staring at my English teacher guiding us through the symbolism in the Eternity commercials by David Lynch when my name was called on the PA system. To the principal's office for the first time EVER. I was mortified. What had I done?

When I got to the office there were the 4 boys I would sit with at lunch time, the principal, and my mother.

The principle had me face my bullies and confess what they'd said to me and explain to them how it hurt my feelings. So, slowly, with trepidation, I confessed. The principal turned my confession into an accusation. The kids, all 4 boys, were suspended from school for a week, and for that week I sat by myself at lunch. And after that week, none of the boys would talk to me. Alone. A lone eater--the worst social status possible in middle school. Those kids--the "bullies"--were actually my friends, but I didn't know that friends could tease each other and still be friends.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Leader said...

Wow, Alex. I didn't have quite as vivid a picture of how difficult each day was. I'm sorry, my friend! I am impressed, though, by how little you see yourself as a victim now. Many people who went through far less pity themselves far more! I'm also, I admit, a bit curious about the jokes they made that you now find funny. That could be a story, too!

10:42 AM

 
Blogger belledame222 said...

Oh, ouch.

Yeah, a lot of that rings familiar. Well, in my case, my parental unit, my mom especially, is/was possessed of an aggressive/mean/dark sense of humor, so the lack of irony thing didn't come up so much. I was just hypersensitive and scarred by repeated encounters with the genuinely nasty side (I'm convinced) of my fellow rugrats. By the time I got to the last years of high school, I probably could've reinvented my image for myself--I think apart from a few tormentors who'd been with me since the early days, most people just didn't really know me at all--but by then all I wanted was to just get my grades and get the hell out of there.

You might have said, but I forget--are you (also) an only child, Alex?

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Gucci said...

Cake: Yeah, given the way I looked and how stubborn I was about NOT changing that (or how brainwashed I was by mom--either way), I kind of deserved to be laughed at. I'm sure it was cute to adults, though.

Belledame: Yes, I'm an only child! You too!? I don't think I knew that before. This changes everything. Seriously though, it's like you're the only thing your parents (esp. mom) have to focus on. Scary and scarring. No one should receive as much attention as I did.

5:17 PM

 
Blogger rey said...

Well at least we know you've gotten over that! Or should I be expecting a sit down soon with your mom and some random principal?

I think all only children should date middle children. We have no problem dealing with the sudden shifts from imperious ego to coddle-hungry baby - it's as everyday to us as turning from one sibling to the other.

Plus, we can help anyone get over that irony thing asap. Teasing turns out to be the middle child's best defense/offense.

7:33 PM

 
Blogger belledame222 said...

Hey, that's right--fastlad's a middle and his S.O.'s an only. Maybe you're onto something there.

Alex, I had a feeling. I also have a feeling that you are my long lost cousin and your real name is something like Irving.

btw, ever read "Portnoy's Complaint?" Misogynist and homophobic, sure, but funny as hell. and, sadly, I found myself relating to a lot of it...

12:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home